Saturday, October 27, 2012

Windows 8 - I Installed It!

Finally!  A Microsoft product that installled without a hitch!

I've been running the Consumer Preview version of Windows 8 on my iMac using Parallels for a few weeks and habe been pretty impressed.  But yesterday I installed the full version of Windows 8 Pro and now I get to play with all the features.

The installation was easy - I simply went to the Windows Web site and created an account, added my credit card, and was able to download the operating system in just anfew minutes.  Much like my latest version of Apple's OS X.  Windows 8 cost twice as much as OS X, but $40 is a far sight less that previous versions of Windows.

It took about an hour to install, but there were no issues.  Once I was finished, I logged in with the Windows Live account I created earlier and was able to quickly connect to my Facebook, Twitter and Google+ accounts.  I also set up email with my byteslaves@outlook.com account.  Pretty painless.

When you set up Windows 8, you also get a SkyDrive account.  This allows you to save Documents, Pictures and Music to the Web and access them from anywhere.

What I'm really impressed by is that Windows 8 recognized all the programs installed on my iMac.  If I choose to open a Mac program, it's smart enough to take me back to an Apple window and open the program.

I'm just scratching the surface here, but will be posting screen shots, lessons learned, and hopefully some videos over the next week or two.

No comments: