Friday, December 7, 2012

Is Lousy Customer Service The Norm? Part 1


This post will be in three parts because I'm just so ticked off about the state of customer service these days.

December is only a week old and I've already experienced the lowest possible level of customer service from three major national companies.  I'm talking about companies that I have given a great deal of money to, either monthly (Comcast, T-Mobile) or in big chunks (Apple).  Not only do I pay these folks a lot of money, their service used to be outstanding.  This is an ugly change.  Is this typical?  I hope not.

All of these use the annoying voice recognition robot that never seems to understand what I say, or what I say isn't in her vocabulary.  These folks, like so many, play lengthy recordings advertising services, referring you to their Web site, which delays my ability to get to a live person.  Worst of all - telling you me 20 - 30 seconds how important my business is to them.  And none give me an option to hold without music, and the music is always terrible.

Comcast has instituted an awful phone menu with way too many options.  If you go down the wrong path, which is easy to do, there's no way to get back to the main menu yo you can start over.  You need to hang up and start over.  There are also dead ends that play recordings and then hang up.  When I finally make contact with a live body, I really start to get frustrated.  I was asked for the serial number on my cable box.  The rep told me I needed to look on the back of the box for it.  I explained I'm disabled and can't crawl on the floor (not to mention my box is on the bottom of my stack of electronics).  I later found the serial number is available number is available in a setup menu.  Oh, asnd there was the phone problem.  After much discussion they sent out a tech who said.

Enough for today.  Please share your experiences - good or bad - here or on my Facebook page.

Next post - Apple Express Lane

No comments: