Sunday, December 16, 2012

Lousy Service, Part 3

My final real life story has to do with my cell phone carrier, T-Mobile. These folks have gone above and beyond. But getting decent customer service has been getting harder and harder.

First of all, when I call 611 the first thing I get is a message telling me to look at my phone's screen and search for answers on the Web. Puh-leeze. If you opt to try to talk to a live person, you get a few challenges from the robot lady, but it's not that hard. Relatively speaking.

My frustration started when the bubbly girl started talking. She asked me how she could help. When I told her I had a question about my bill she launched into this REALLY annoying rant about how she's here to tp provide me with exceptional service and understands how billing questions can be a real concern and she'd certainly want answers and.. (obviously the T-Mobile training manual says she needs to empathize - no matter how phony and insincere it sounds). I finally get her to shut up so I can ask my question.

I tell her I see a charge that listed as "other" but it has no explanation. She launches into another diatribe about how she understands how an unidentified charge would open her eyes to a possible problem and she'd want answers and... SHUT UP!!! - just answer my f***ing question without this insincere babbling.

Finally, after getting my question answered, she starts selling me on upgrading my phone. After she finally shuts up about the upgrade, she launches into another obviously insincere rant about what a great customer I've been for the last seven years and yadda yadda. I hung up on her.

Why can't these companies just focus on basic courtesy? Sincere empathy is great. Ask me if I'd like to hear about deals and savings opportunities. But don't patronize me and waste my time with meaningless babble. But it seems this kind of "service" is more the norm than the exception.

This is my last "rant" post (for now). I'd love to post some raves. Please send me some happy support stories.

Happy Holidays!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had t-mobile until a few years ago. Some story, really bad customer service. It seems to be the trend nowadays. Companies want to fix things with upgrades, not making your current situation better.